Tuesday 7 December 2010

Drawing, drawing, drawing...

Well it's almost six in the morning and I've been up since about four. I don't actually know why. I just woke up and felt wide awake and that was that. I went to bed some point after midnight too. Oh well.


So drawing. If there is one thing an animator should probably be good at it should be drawing-especially if they want to do traditional animation. (Personally at the moment I'm enjoying all the animation medias-especially now Maya and I are getting along-so I'm keeping an open mind.) The more versatile you are the better and one of the most frequently animated things you come across are human. Unfortunately for me that's my week point probably because I spent the majority of my childhood drawing anything but human-my philosophy being that there were so many of them around that the idea of creating a drawing of another was just plane dull. I also thought that people were too boring to draw too as, as far I as I was aware, the adults spent their days in offices at computers while the younger half sat mesmerised in front of TV screens.

Anyway the result is obvious. My ability to draw human anatomy is shameful where as I will happily tackle anything else...


(Coloured pencil) And so my nerdy love for mechs (robots) is revealed.

 
(Biro) I'm sane. I promise.                                                                     (Pencil) Shoooooo!


(Water colour) A small rodent armed with a quiver and crossbow intended for human...of course...



This is a biro work in progress bellow. My reference source is beneath it.






Now this is where it all goes wrong.






See?
My human anatomy is just diabolical. This isn't an ok drawing. This is a terrible drawing so I'm going to have to practice drawing the human anatomy big time.
Also there's something rather unusual going on. If I attempt an ordinary life drawing this is the result but if I do an life drawing on negative space this is the result...






Now it's much more accurate. W-w-why is this? How can I create an outline that appears to resemble the human form much more closely than an actual line drawing?



Well I'm done ranting. I'm just going to have to practice like crazy...and devour the little chocolate Christmas tree I got in my advent calendar this morning. Oh yes I am so very cool. Te, he, he.

No comments:

Post a Comment