Monday 6 December 2010

Backgrounds

Hello my dears! I've just had a whole bottle of coca-cola so I am hyped up and energized! Oh yeah!

Anyway the story is I had to create two coloured backgrounds and a pencil layout from a story board I had put together. The story board was based on an section of script from Night Rider and was set in the dessert so I had to research Night Rider and the setting. Drawing inspiration from this I began my work by jotting down ideas in my sketchbook. This work then progressed onto final pieces.

Here be my work!

Exterior Pencil Layout


The scanner was a little bit dodgy. Any water colour work somehow ended up looking like it was something that had been done on photoshop.

Pencil Layout
This was an A2 image. I wanted to draw attention to the mid-ground (slightly to the right) and I did this by placing the rock formations in such a way that they practically boarder the space in the center and by then placing the plant bang in the central foreground, slightly to the left. This is actually to delude the audience as they would be more likely to expect something to enter mid-ground to the right when actually a large vehicle storms in, large wheel right in front of the screen, practically ripping the plant from its routs and disappears with a flurry of sand to the right.


Exterior Shot

This really isn't my exact colouration. The scanner was going for the photoshop look again.
Exterior Background
(I found a different scanner for this one.) This is the last shot within the scene. The main character is seen driving off towards a city in the distance. I don't particularly like shots with subjects dead in the center as they can look a little bland and oddly unnatural but I found if I was to place the walls of sandstone on either side of the city, when central, they were surprisingly complementary. I think this is because, in effect, this extends the silhouette outward. It is also neatly framed by the sandstone, the road and the sky combined, all of which draw you eyes straight to it.
I went for a monochromatic effect to give a sense of mood and to highlight the silhouette of the city on the horizon.
This was all done in water colour.


Interior Shot
This isn't the usual Trans-am. Unfortunately, in this script poor Kitt was installed in a trabant. Mwa, ha, haa! 

Interior Shot
Water colour again. The idea of this was to create the impression of a single light source...only the scanner sort of lit everything up so it doesn't really have that effect here. Oh scanner, how could you?! Despite my rant I still think this last background is kinda appalling anyway.

Anyway that's my background work. Tadaaaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment