Anyway on Tuesday the group banded together and we filmed the live action. We had one prop which was a dignified, scrappy make-at-home space ship...on strings! The intent was to make it look as home made as possible and make it move with all the grace of Thunderbird2. (I remember it had a tendency to wobble a little on takeoff) Once we'd got all the footage I sifted through it on Premier to yoink out the best bits.
Look! It's Awesome!
The good bit is we managed to get all the shots we wanted, exactly as we wanted...the bad bit is our lighting was a little poor (and as evidenced above the screen was kinda on the crinkly side) so, as the compositor I found my self having to rotoscope.
I don't mind so much. It's quite a simple shape so I'm able to key a fair portion without having alter too much and its simplicity also makes it easier to spot any inconsistencies with the outline.
Anyway, I've finished one shot so I'm eager to get at least three more done by the end of the week.