Monday 18 February 2013

Directing again?

Mid week we were set our next assignment. We had to create a 15 second short from scratch. By time the lecture was over I had an idea. It involved three seagulls and a chip, probably influenced by the fact that I live right by the sea.
It went like this.

A chip lands with a sticky thud. Camera zooms out away and there are two seagulls stood equidistant, silent, either side. Camera snaps to their eyes ablaze with the same malevolent intent. Suddenly they each let out a marshal arts style cry. They fly at each other. Each is convinced the chip shall be theirs! They clash. Then flail like cowardly school girls, both with heads back and eyes closed too afraid to get hurt. Over the top (preferably the music from psycho) can be heard playing over the top. A third seagull ducks in, yoinking the chip from beneath their feet. The gulls all freeze and look at one another. A wide angle shot. The third peeps and shoots off in a flail of loose feathers and chip grease. End.

I grabbed  Elisabeth and Dani, both hard working and enthusiastic, and proposed my idea which involved me acting it out a bit and they loved it. After some general discussion it was decided that Elisabeth, who has a great understanding for film language, would be head of story boarding, she, Dani and I would work on character design and I would do the animation with Dani providing the colour.

Yes...it appears I'm directing again....
...I still really like it...


No comments:

Post a Comment