Friday 15 February 2013

Proof...sort of...

Ok so I said I was catching up on work....

...so I'll need to blog about it ...

Well I suppose to start I'll talk about the stuff I didn't loose in the first place and then the things I'm in the proses of completing.
The post production work has forced me to use Nuke and actually I'm rather glad for it. I discovered I really like it. It's intuitive, logical, adaptive...basically it's damn nice. In the past I wouldn't have said the program was badly designed or that I didn't like it. I simply didn't put my self in a scenario where I would have to interact with it. I was an idiot for doing so.

Anyway the two pieces I didn't loose were a colour correction job and a rotoscope piece. The colour correction I found simple as it is just a case of placing all the relevant nodes in the right order to get a desired outcome. Logic and problem solving.



Errr..these noes aren't in the right order...or even quite right...bad example...but you now know that Nuke looks pretty...
 
 
Then there was the roto job. I was given a live action shot of a penguin and I had to rotoscope over his tummy. Again I had to set it up using the nodes, placing them in the right order and so forth, but the important bit is what I learnt from my interaction with it.
 
 
Awesome little dude.
 
I am a perfectionist, when I want to do well, and rotoscoping demands this. You have to be acutely observant so you are able to rotoscope an item perfectly from edge to edge and your final outcome must be highly convincing. (People should not be able to see that you have rotoscoped at all.) At this point, determined to stay atop of work and generally eager to do well I was a perfectionist. I started by key framing  main points of deformation and then tweaked it by adding tweens and over time gradually applied more to streamline it.
The roto node on this program allows you to soften the edges. I decided, owing to the fact his stumpy legs and butt are darkened due to shadow, I would extend the edging that covered his lower regions more than I had the top and side edges with the intention to make the bottom fade into the natural shadow. I'm happy with it over all. It moves fluently and I think relatively convincingly but I think I will need to refine my technique regarding his lower half.
 
I'm pleased I've finally got to grips with this program. I want to be an animator, both traditionally and digitally, and I'm particularly interested in merging animation with live action. This a form of VFX. If I want to be employed and want to be good at this the more I know about post production within VFX and the more skills I have to apply the better.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment