Monday 31 October 2011

Project Cheese-a delayed update

So work on the project is running rather smoothly now. At the beginning I'll admit we were a bit behind but now we're bang on track.

Anyway I thought I'd begin this post by rambling a bit about the idea. I'm not actually sure how it arose. I was just presented with the brief "yes, yes, yes, yes, no," and then, *PING!* it just materialised in my brain: there was a mouse, he was stealing cheese from a podium with a mechanical hand, he was quivering with the kind of excitement that only a mouse charged on pure caffeine could do, "yes, yes, yes, YES!" and the cheese was squished, "NOOOOOOOOO!" That's basically what happened.
After a minute or two had passed the idea had evolved a little. The little film in my head was in the style of a Chuck Jones version of Tom and Jerry, which I enjoy too much...I may happen to have had a Chuck Jones' Tom and Jerry box set for a few years...and suddenly, perhaps with the nature of the cartoon in mind my idea became set in a cheese museum.

Anyway I ended up as the director, which I'm actually really enjoying, animator and character designer. I have Brian working on concepts and backgrounds and Perry working on story board and sound. I think my self lucky as they're both doing a great job.



Here is a page from Perry's story board. It's nicely paced and there is some nice composition. This is subject to change and is changing as he is currently doing e new draft.


This is an example of Brian's background work. It's a downward shot and its in mid progress but anyway he's captured the style perfectly. It is epic.



We've progressed since all this work and over all I'm rather pleased with how much we're doing and the pace we're going at. I've just finished some test animations and hope to blog them soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment