Sunday 28 November 2010

Oh it's so awful I don't want to write about it!

So the walk cycles continue.

Once my hand drawn walk cycle was finished I then had to animate a CGI monkey walking. The idea was to not make it walk like a monkey but to simply create a neutral walk but I still had to consider elements like the tail and the extra long arms. And it is terrible. I really didn't want to put this up on the Internet, for all to see, but if I want to pass my degree I have to.

Front view


Back view

Yes ok the hips and shoulders twist in opposition but there is no believable sense of weight. Another problem; the feet slide forward a little when they pivot. Another would be that that although there is movement in the wrists and elbows it is so subtle that the arms seem rigid and lifeless. Over all it is a very static performance. The only thing I think looks any good would be the secondary animation in the tail and I feel that to looks a little rigid too.
Originally I had planed to keep his arms tucked in at his sides and make them bounce a little with his head as he padded along to make them look lose and relaxed. This changed because the moment I animated his chest to rotate in the opposite direction of his hips the bounce would have clashed with the left and right swing of his shoulders.
Next time I think if I was to lessen the swing of the hips I could make the rotation of his chest much more subtle and then I could make the arms and head bounce much more.

If I get some spare time (I've already begun on my own project) I will give it a go and upload it if it's successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment